Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The end of an era

Tomorrow Jackson will turn four. And it just occurred to me that after today I will never again have a 3 year old, a two year old, and a one year old. Melancholy as I lay here in bed, feeling not terrible, but certainly not 100 percent. I am thinking about the million things I need to be doing, and my blood pressure rises as the stress takes over. But then I listen to the noise from downstairs; boys playing, bikes going over the hardwoods, playroom doors opening and closing, laughing, crying, Olivia calling "DAAAADAAAAA" and it makes me smile. And the million things I have on my to-do list are much less important than getting better so I can spend time with my little babies. Can you call a four year old a baby? I think I will anyway.

3 comments:

Jodie Allen said...

that's hard... 4 is such a "big kid" birthday! Not really a toddler but barely a kid.

although you're not feeling great i hope you're able to enjoy the coziness of your bed and no kids for a while today!

Jen said...

My boys (who turned 4 in August) are still VERY cuddly, very much my babies, very sweet, and very into their mommy. Based on your posts I bet Jackson will be exactly the same way.

TheFiveDays said...

He'll always be YOUR baby!! Four is tough though...definitely growing up. Sigh.