Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Recovering from insanity, preschool style, '08

So I did my second annual all-nighter to secure a spot in preschool on Sunday night. Yep, I am one of "those Moms" now, and there's just no hiding from it anymore. I thought I had turned over my soul with the minivan, but apparently that was just the tip of the iceberg. Now I am so crazy about the PREschool I will allow my kids to attend that I will stay up all night in freezing cold weather to secure a spot for my precious spawn. What has the world come to? My friend Em and I arrived at 12:15 am for the 7:30 am registration, mugs of Wawa hot chocolate in hand, determined to "GO BIG" and be the first moms there. HA! We're such suckers. Wanna know what number I was? THIRTEEN! That's right, folks...there were 12 parents ahead of me, arriving as early as 9 pm the night before to sit outside of a dark locked building in freezing weather for 10 hours for a spot in preschool. Bottom line, I got the spots I wanted so there was no need for life threats or bloodshed. And really at the end of the day, I mean night, all I really lost was my dignity! I'm a true soccer mom now, baby, and there's no turning back.
On a sweeter note, I did FINALLY give Livi finger foods today (at least if Gerber wagons wheels actually qualify as food and not just a styrofoam-turning to paste-like substance we feed our babies). And I did take pictures and camcord. And okay, as a confession it was really only because she had a rare fussy afternoon and after trying everything else, I really needed to make dinner and she was having none of it. So I gave her finger foods. We'll call it an appetizer. Anywhoodle, once the camcorder came out, the attention competition I predicted between the boys began, and I managed to capture the world's cutest renditions of the "ABC's" by Jackson and "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" by Sam. I know someday when they leave for college I will be clutching their Lambie and Bear, watching the videos of those songs while I sob and rock back and forth on the couch. At least they provided some comic relief at the end when they tried to outsing each other with their own songs and the fighting began. Sigh. Love them, mean it!

No comments: