Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Separation anxiety

Monday, February 26, 2007
Jack's night away and Sam's big day!
Last night Jackson spent the night at his buddy Jacob's house. It was the first time he has ever slept away from Sam since Sam was born, and I wasn't sure how it would go. I needn't be concerned...while we were leaving, Jackson was climbing up their stairs to head for the bathtub, saying "Bye Mom, Wuv you, tanks for comin'!" Apparently he did ask for me once and asked for Sammy once, but accepted that we weren't there and that he was sleeping at Jacob's house.
Sam went in for his "surgery" this morning at 6:30 am. It was PAINFUL to be up and about at that hour, but Sam was a trooper. He played happily ( and was really adorable in his little gown) until the time came to take him away. I cried a little as he reached for me and called "Mommmeee," but recovered quickly. He underwent general anesthesia, but the procedure was quick and he came through it very well. The nurses even commented that "they don't usually smile POST-op" but our Sammy sure did! He ate well and played all day, but looked for Jackson when he woke up from his nap.
I went to pick Jack up in the afternoon when Sam went down for his second nap, and he did his "Happy dance" when we met at the front door. He ran right into my arms and I got LOTS of hugs! As we were getting him ready for bed tonight, I said "Mommy missed you so much last night. Did you miss Mommy too?" He said, "Yeah, I gived Mommy wots of hugs wast night." I can't help it if I teared up looking at his empty little toddler bed, or if I insanely required that his monitor be on, even though he wasn't in the room. There was also much rejoicing when Jack and Sam reunited. They gleefully played together while I made dinner and each one seemed truly thrilled to be back in the other's company. I hope they are always so close.

No comments: