Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The things we do for our kids

Monday, January 29, 2007
The things we do for our kids
So I swore I would not be one of those psycho moms who puts WAY too much stock into things like preschool, but apparently I have failed in my resolve. I was in a car (thankfully) from 1:30 am to 6 am this morning sitting in a preschool parking lot to reserve a spot for Jackson in a one day a week preschool class! How crazy is that? Wanna know what's crazier...I wasn't the first one there!
By 5 am the parking lot was full, and I'm sure the back half of the line didn't get spots. I was just glad we made a group decision to stay in our cars, but only at 4 am after a few people started lining up and the rest of us jumped out of our cars and ran to sit in the chairs we had set up to reserve our spot. Sitting in the 20 degree windy night would have been MUCH more painful than sitting in the car eating Doritos and chatting with my next door neighbor who went with me.
At 6 am, when the director opened the doors and told us to line up by car order to receive a number, I realized at least I wasn't the MOST psycho mom there. One woman actually came busting into the holding room loudly proclaiming, "OKAY, I WAS IN CAR 9, SO WHY AM I NUMBER 11!?" I explained that our car had two people in it and perhaps that was the case with another, but that didn't stop her from sitting in the back of the room with her arms crossed, chomping her gum and looking like a sourpuss!
It's pretty embarrassing when the PRESCHOOL director has to yell out to the group of PARENTS, "Let's not have any fighting. Work it out amongst yourselves!" Geez, I'm in trouble when my kids start sports!

No comments: